What a difference a few days makes. We have been waiting for a dry, snow and wind-free day to lower the cover on the greenhouse. Spring locking greenhouse plastic down is one of those tasks that can go really, really good, or really, really bad if the wind comes up.
I’ve got starts coming on in the brooder greenhouse. In order to be ready for planting those, I applied the amendments to the soil in the greenhouse three weeks ago, and we needed to get the cover down so the soil could dry out enough for soil prep. Exactly the opposite of years past, when I have had to water the heck out of the dry soil in order to start soil and bed preparation.
While I haven’t had a covered greenhouse over winter, there is no comparison to real weather versus irrigation. The soil feels and smells good after being exposed to freezing and thawing all winter.
Besides locking down the poly, Hangdog wanted to get the vents built and installed. We went the entire growing season last year without the gable vents, which is OK when it is hot, but I really wanted them installed for keeping the heat in since our last two springs have been quite cold. A little draft abatement works wonders.
By the end of the weekend the vent on the prevailing wind end was installed. For now, since I am only going to plant cold hardy plants, this will be a vast improvement. The other end can wait until warm weather crops need to go in.